Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Tasty Tuesday

Good afternoon!  Sorry for my late posting today!  Today I am going to share another soup recipe (I know, I know, enough with the soup recipes).  I got this recipe from my girlfriend who is vegan and gluten free and it's great!  

Lentil Soup

2 Leeks, sliced, white part only
3 - 4 carrots, sliced
3 - 4 stalks of celery, sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
3-4 cartons vegetable stock (12 - 16 cups)
1 - 2 tbsp. basil
Seasoning salt & pepper, to taste
Bob's Red Mill Veggie Soup Mix (1/4 - 1/2 cup)

In a large soup pot, sauté leeks, carrots, celery & garlic in a little bit of water or vegetable stock until a little soft.  (You can use oil if you want) 
Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer to add basil, salt & pepper.  Rinse veggie soup mix in a strainer with cool water and add to pot.  Let simmer until lentils are soft (approximately 20 - 30 minutes). 
NOTES: I didn't use the Bob's Red Mill soup mix because I couldn't find it where I live. I did use a mix of lentils and pot barley, but I think next time I would add more like 1 cup of lentils instead of a half a cup.  I also added a cup of mushrooms and a cup of Kale.  The mushrooms and Kale were a great addition.  I ripped the tough stems off the baby kale, and next time I would use more.

You can mess around with the amounts, but this is a great, hearty soup that offers lots of nutritious foods! 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment