Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Valentine's Day - The Day of Love


 
So, I wrote this post on Valentine’s Day and then wanted a picture to add to it...and never got it posted. Until today....because I’m serious about what I’m about to say.  As you may know, I was training for Disney’s Tinkerbell Half Marathon this past January.  Between October and November, I had a series of events occur that derailed my training: injury, family tragedy, financial changes, and overloaded by community involvement.  I had to defer the race and walk away from my dream.  Now, I want to get back on track to realize a goal I have had for a long time.  Today is the day it starts.

Valentine’s Day is a day loved by many, hated by many, and completely irrelevant to a few.  Valentine’s Day: aka the Day of Love.  I have always used this as a day to celebrate the ones I love: my husband, children, parents, brothers, friends, etc.  I agree that it is a commercialized money-grab from the card companies, flowers shops, etc in the world.  But, quite frankly, I don’t care.  No, we shouldn’t need a day to remind us to tell the people around us how we feel, but unfortunately, sometimes we do.  Sometimes we get so wrapped up in life that we forget to say how we feel and tell those around us that they are important.  It’s nice to have an excuse and I like to think that after Valentine’s Day I remember to try and make an effort every day, not just on “special” days.
This year, Valentine’s Day means something else to me as well.  Today is the day that I will learn to love myself again.  So many times, we neglect ourselves and put ourselves at the bottom of the priority list.  I am guilty of this.  So, so guilty of this.  And I’m really not that out-of-the-ordinary, as wives, mothers, women, husbands, fathers, men, employees, etc, we often put ourselves lower on the priority list than everything else.  It’s simply life and it has been easier to not look after myself in the short-term.  I have given up doing the things that I enjoyed (like blogging), quit exercising because it was easier than fighting with my husband to get up and watch the kids, stopped reading because there’s always something more important to do, and haven’t been taking the time for myself that I know I need so much.  Recently, I came to the conclusion that although I am putting my family's and community's needs in front of my own, I am really not doing anyone any good.  By putting my children first, they may be getting an extra bit of time with me, but is it quality time?  No.  I would be better off taking time for myself and being a  happier, more well-rounded mother than this basket of crazy I am right now. 

So, today that all ends.  Today, I celebrate my love for those around me.  But, I also celebrate my love for myself and I start back on the path to finding me.  I already feel like a haze is lifting and I am so, so excited for this.  It’s snowing and blowing outside, but soon spring will be here and the earth will be starting fresh...just like me.

I hope today is a day of love for you as well!  Happy Valentine’s Day!

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Question of the Day:  What do you do to take time for yourself?

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! What a perfect day to start showing yourself how much you love "you"! Happy belated Valentine's Day and I wish you every success!

    ReplyDelete